Monday, June 28, 2010

Reflection on Adolescence

I had several realizations while going through my yearbooks from middle school after reconnecting with someone that I knew from there.

1. Middle school is a horrible horrible place.
I submit as evidence the following quote, directly from one of the autograph pages:  "you look good in your yearbook picture, but I know you could do better."  Hello, passive aggression.

2. I had a terrible self-image.
I seriously felt fat and unattractive all through middle school.  Now, my hair certainly left something to be desired, but curly hair is very hard to deal with and half the products I use weren't even on the market then, let alone in a price range my mom would have spent on me at that point in time.  But I'm looking at these photos, and realizing how flipping skinny I was!  I don't know what it was that made me feel so fat, although perhaps it had something to do with the "I know you could do better" referenced above.

3. I was incredibly shy and probably unpopular.
Evidenced by the very notable lack of signatures.

4. I really loved the friends I had and I wish I could find them.
But so far no luck.

I may expound on these thoughts at a later time - realizations that occur after 2AM are tough to flesh out.

No comments:

Post a Comment