Monday, April 26, 2010

Beautiful Story

Last night, I read When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead.  This book was fantastic.  It's a children's story, and I picked it up because it won the Newberry, and I'm pretty much never disappointed in Newberry winners.  This book was no exception.  It was so engaging that I couldn't put it down, and it was so moving that I cried.  It's very rare for me to read a book that leaves me with the same feeling this one did.  It was utterly beautiful.  I finished it in four hours.

It's a story about a twelve year old girl named Miranda, who starts getting mysterious notes that predict her future, and tell her that the sender has come to save her friend as well as himself.  It's so great because it's a mix of the real hardship of hitting adolescence and having friendships grow, change and separate, and a little bit of the fantasy element of time travel.  I really enjoyed it and I wanted to write something down about it.

Other books that have moved me like this one:  A Density of Souls, The Secret Garden, Paper Towns.

No comments:

Post a Comment